Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Works for Me Wednesday


Click here to read Rocks in my Dryer



Punctuality!

Being on time is important! And I know this is not possible ALL of the time -- but being on time to appointments, to work, and to other activities that have a "time frame", is important.

This has been a sore point in my work recently as other "caregivers" have not deemed themselves to be punctual. And it's really not that hard. You have to give yourself extra time to be ON TIME where you are going. It's easier to PLAN to leave sooner than what its actually going to take you to get where you need to be ON TIME. Always give yourself extra time.

Sitting an extra few minutes in the waiting area of an appointment isn't the end of the world. And likely may even make things go faster for your visit -- because needed paperwork and other things can be accomplished while you are waiting and then they -- whomever "they" are deemed to be, do NOT have to wait on you to fill out or do extra tasks during your appointment. They are done, completed and ready to go when you walk into the appointment.

Punctuality -- yes, I have been guilty of not "PLANNING" to leave a certain time so that I am early to where I need to be -- though rarely am I ever LATE! And I have been relieved from work LATE many times over the past few weeks.


Just to give you an idea of how it feels to be relieved late --
You have just done a 12 HOUR shift -- you are tired, hungry and have a plan for your trip home. Office policy states call before the top of the hour if relief doesn't show. Phone call made at 10 minutes til the hour.

The top of the hour comes and your relief is no where to be found. You still have to do a turn over because the client you were with was sick during the shift -- you can't leave without letting them know that the client needs special care because well, she flat doesnt feel good.

So, 15 more minutes goes by and still no relief caregiver.............. Now, you have to adjust trip home plans... You can't go to this shop because it will be closed. And gee, you sure were looking forward to it.

Now, its 30 minutes past the hour and relief isn't there. Meal plans change because now you wont have time to fix what you had originally planned and still serve your meal on time. Plus now you are frustrated and getting mad. I hate cooking when I feel that way. I just want to veg .. I don't smoke and rarely drink alcohol -- so TV or computer time comes in handy.

45 minutes has passed -- and there is the relief... still have to do turn over... clients needs are important.

Result -- ONE PERSON says, "OH, I didn't think it was that big a deal."... causing a cascade of events....

She was late relieving a person who had a set plan -- and now that plan is running late... causing her to be late, causing the relief caregiver to be late, causing the caregiver on duty to be late in things she needed and wanted to do!!!!! Count em folks -- 3 people who were LATE because 1 person thought it wasn't "important".

One person not being punctual can cause several others to be very very unhappy with her.

So, Plan to leave well before you need to be where you are going! It pays to be punctual.

Next week -- Exercise! With a lighter heart!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, I think you posted this very well. You could have ranted and raved but instead you showed the consequences of actions. Certainly makes you think from a different perspective.
Pam

Wed Aug 16, 05:59:00 PM  
Blogger Mom2fur said...

I think people who consistently arrive late are rude. I have a lot of faults, but I'm always on time unless there are extenuating circumstances. Because, in the long run, it IS a big deal.

Wed Aug 16, 06:55:00 PM  
Blogger Rebecca Johnson said...

I think this all boils down to selfishness. People are so caught up in me me me that they never think about the effects of being late...and what that might cause a second party to have to deal with on top of it. I TOTALLY agree with your post and will keep on making sure I'm punctual at every endeavor.

Huggles

Wed Aug 16, 08:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home