Saturday, March 11, 2006

Weekend Herb Blogging # 23

Covered Strawberry Bed

Strawberries are not exactly one of my favorite foods. The kids however love them and being as I had the room I decided to see if I could raise these sweet little fruits. I opted into getting 18 plants and honestly expect to loose a few to the elements. Strawberry plants as a rule need two years to mature. Year one you will get some fruits off of them, but generally year two is when they are better and then every year after that. I have had to cover my bed with something that the deer and cats cannot get into. The deer of course will eat anything not nailed down and not native to the area, and then there is the cats...

For a yummy non-diet food you can try this little trick:
Strawberry Short Cake -- Cake version
1 white cake mix made according to
package directions in two (8 inch)pans
1 large container strawberries
16 ounce container non-dairy whipped cream

Hull the strawberries and slice up into small pieces. Add sugar to taste and allow to make their own syrup. Layer 1 (8in) cake on a serving platter, cover with half the sliced strawberries. Layer the 2nd cake on top and cover with remaining strawberries. Carefully cover the entire cake with the whipped cream and chill for several hours. Slice and serve as you usually would a cake.

Below is the plants in the containers I got them in from the nursery in Boerne Texas. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!



Let me know how the pictures are turning out now on my new digital camera.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I have to admit, I've never tried growing strawberries either. But I do like them a lot. My favorite (non-diet) recipe is to mix sour cream and brown sugar, then dip the strawberries in that. Yum. Pictures look great.

Sat Mar 11, 03:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To me, the strawberries you grow yourself are so much better than the ones in the grocery store. I have to admit that I'm selfish about my limited garden space--so I never planted them. You have a very nice gardening system going there.

Tue Mar 14, 01:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To me, the strawberries you grow yourself are so much better than the ones in the grocery store. I have to admit that I'm selfish about my limited garden space--so I never planted them. You have a very nice gardening system going there.

Tue Mar 14, 01:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather, the pics are looking fabulous, and your garden set up just looks wonderful. You guys really put it together. Good Job!

Wed Mar 15, 03:16:00 AM  
Blogger Farmgirl Susan said...

The photos look great and the recipe sounds yum. Don't forget to snip off all the runners the plants send out this year--which is so much easier than snipping off the blossoms you KNOW want to turn into berries (but should be snipped as well). Looks like your garden is shaping up very nicely! : )

Fri Mar 17, 06:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home