Sunday, January 29, 2006

Weekend Herb Blogging # 17


Red Roses

It's time for Weekend Herb Blogging. Kalyn's Kitchen hosts this each weekend and there are many things to learn about and enjoy -- both for eating and simply growing.

I am learning about roses. I enjoy these beauties but have not had a great deal of luck with them. The red rose bush you see above was here when I moved into my current home. One thing I plan to try with this bush this next spring is egg shell water and see if it goes crazy with blooms. I have, in the past, used egg shell water on African violets with dramatic sucess. I understand you NEVER use egg shell water on plants that do NOT get blooms, they don't like it and may die from it -- or so I have heard. I will let you know more as the spring blooming process starts. (The bloom shown was one of the last ones we had for fall -- but I felt it was pretty enough to go ahead and share.)

To make your own egg shell water -- place 3 to 5 whole egg shells -- minus the contents of course -- into one gallon of water and allow to sit about one week. The water leeches the calcium out of the shells and Blooming plants love this stuff.

O O O O -- Idea! I am also going to use this technique on my tomatoe plants after I get my garden in this spring as well.

Happy Gardening/Munching of edible herbs and other growing goodies.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I love the idea of the egg shell water. I haven't heard of it before. I love roses, although I don't have any in my yard.

Sun Jan 29, 12:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Very interestinting about the egg shell water.

Paz

Mon Jan 30, 12:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home