Saturday, July 29, 2006

The Language Barrier.. toddler style

"I love to smile!"



Today was one of those "vocal days" and I just have to share some of our favorite "new" words. Logan loves learning -- and talking and signing are definitely favorite things to do. He knows at least 20 signs -- some are used more than others. His absolute favorite is "candy" - both the word and the sign. And that one he says correctly, along with several others -- "Daddy", "welcome", "mommy", "candy" (of course), "eat", "off", "ok", "poopy", and many others.

Then there are the ones that most toddlers struggle with....
Truck
Thank you
remote
cookie
fix it
go
love you

Now then, I can handle... things like
"ookie!" (cookie)
"cane que!" (thank you)
"ix it" (fix it)
"go" (car, or any other vehicle -- until recently)
"uv u" (love you)
"nuh uh" (no)
and "MOTE!" (remote)

But one that embarasses most parents is of course ...
"*uck!" (truck).......... time for some creative thinking! This especially came to a head tonite when Logan brought in a toy saying of course "*uck!"... I got this look, you know the one, from my husband. (The whole eyebrow lift with the gaze over the rim of his glasses kind of look.)

I had to think of something and fast! Well, I KNOW the "tr" combination is something Logan simply is not going to manage just yet. Okay, remedy -- teach him "ruck". Minus that "tr" sound and YAY! He got it first try. Much to my delight and to my husband's relief!

This is not the first time, nor will it be the last, that toddlers struggle with those combination sounds. My mother told me when I was growing up that I could not say, "Kentucky" for KFC and would always remove the "kent" and replace it with an "f", much to her dismay. Her solution? KFC became "That chicken place."

And kids of course, will repeat just about anything you say! Do not ever doubt that they can say exactly what you dont want them to!

I shared several things about my fun toddler today with a friend of mine. Her and I talk as often as we can. And we have never met in person. She's a piano teacher and I am a caregiver. Our talk tonite was about our blessings. I talked to her about a movie called "The Punisher". Now, it is of course a "blast em, blow em up, kill em!" kind of show. But there is one important scene in it. Where "P" talks about the meaning of "upset". You have to see it to get the full impact of it, and to understand just how blessed we are each and every day. Yes, I realise that the movie is based on a comic book hero -- and though many lives are not as "dramatic" as that, there are still people like "P" who loose every thing.

Remember your blessings and thank the One who provides for you all the time.

Sweetest of Dreams!

1 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca Johnson said...

I LOVE the picture....too cute! I'm so glad I was able to bounce my "blessings" off of you and have a really good chat about what we are thankful for. I'm also thankful for our friendship!

Hugs

Sat Jul 29, 08:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home